Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Week 31 - Continued Bed-Rest

So, bed-rest is not very glamorous. You would think that being given orders not to do anything but sit in bed and sleep would be a luxury – a sort of exposure to lifestyles of the rich and famous. However, that illusion quickly fades a few hours after your only companion, your husband, leaves for the day. My days were filled on the internet, trying to do something productive: finding christening gowns for the girls, birth announcements, updating my address list, reading my breastfeeding book or checking to make sure my registry was complete. When all that was done, I’d take out a pad of paper and start making lists of things I couldn’t do, but needed to get done so that Paul could do them when he got home. Things he could bring me from around the house to keep me occupied, chores around the house, things with the car, plants that needed watering, checks he should cash, items to fax, etc., etc. So engulfed and satisfied with how productive I was, I was completely surprised that when he did come home from his already long day and had no interest in first making me dinner (I was always starving!) and then immediately jumping into my sometimes 2-3 page “Honey-Do” list. The frustration level on both our ends was very apparent!!

By Day 4 of bed rest, I started noticing fruit flies in the bedroom (I figured they’d come from the bag of lemons my father-in-law brought from his tree 3 days prior that have yet to be unloaded or washed by Paul), an overflowing and ignored laundry pile, a neglected grocery list, bed sheets that needed changing and floors that needed vacuuming among other sure signs of household neglect. With frustration mounting, I ordered the evacuation. Paul’s full-time job plus all the other responsibilities of the house were too much to attend to. Good friend Lisa answered the call and brought the car over, helped me pack myself, some laundry, and the dog, and delivered me to my mother’s.

What would we do without the innate sense of nurturing that mother’s have? She’s been proactive in ensuring I’m hydrated, fed, the laundry’s done by the end of the day and she even goes out to fetch mint chip ice cream sandwiches and string cheese! She’s helped me organize my mail, care for the dog (to which she’s allergic!), and solicits help from neighbors to rearrange furniture for the expected twins. Now Paul’s short list is much shorter and, although he doesn’t get to sleep in his own bed, he does get to relax when he gets home and enjoy some dinner that he didn’t have to make himself. We didn’t expect to move out here this early, but it was clear that bed rest on my own wasn’t the best for me, the babies, or Paul.

So, what do I do with my time? I’ve now figured out how to hook up my computer to the internet here, so that’s still an outlet. BillPay and Netflicks are good new friends. I’ve brought a big blanket out here that I’ll have my mother lie out in the backyard in a sun spot so that I can take a nap with my “C” pillow or throw the ball for Hayden. Friends come by to visit for an hour or so which also helps to break up the day. I also have brought my scrap booking supplies and hope to get through last year’s Australia photos. There are also calls and emails from friends which help me feel more connected to the life I “used to have.”

The good news is that the babies are still growing (along with me – I gained that pound back so I’m at 40 pounds gained again and 44” along the girth). The contractions are still coming, but not like before; only 4/day rather than 6-10/hour. The drugs continue to work, although, since my body is getting used to them, I need to start tapering so that they’ll be more effective. The doctor says I’m still at the same place I was last week, so this coming week will be more of the same. I did, however, get permission for 2 outings: I can attend our “Caring for Newborns” class with Paul (provided he drops me off/picks me up in front so I don’t have to walk much and I prop my feet up on a chair the whole time) and the party that Paul’s sisters are throwing for the girls on Saturday (same stipulations apply). No walking or driving around – just laying down, sitting with feet propped up, unless I’m using the restroom or shower. If we can get away with doing this for another 3 weeks, we reach our goal. And, to use the perintologist’s words, anything beyond that “is gravy!” If we make it longer, we have a scheduled C-section at 10:00 am on June 3rd. Both babies are still transverse making a vaginal delivery unlikely.