Friday, April 08, 2005

Elbows and Hiccoughs


Bizarre Tremors Posted by Hello

Remember the worm-tunnels in that silly 80’s movie, Tremors? The group of young scientists that went out into the desert and discovered these weird giant gopher-looking trails? It takes them until half-way through the movie to figure out what makes them, and, when they do find out, the creatures are totally alien-looking monsters.

That same storyline is taking place on the top of my belly. During the Easter Sunday service, for example, I sat in my pew and looked down at my belly as I feel the all too familiar twitches of baby movement. I wore a silver silk dress my cousin lent me that day and it lay smoothly against my skin. The little lump that was twitching under my skin suddenly started visably traveling a couple inches to the right. I elbowed Paul in enough time for him to see Baby B’s fist make the trip back, like a moving worm-hole, toward my center again at the end her stretch. Kind of an errie occurance to watch – especially at church when you imagine a rebellious exercist baby fighting the sounds of godly hymns and prayer (taking after her Dad, I guess, who squirms through most church services!).

Paul finds these movements a bit unnerving. I’ll put his hand on a hard lump and, at first, he’s curious – he’ll keep it there and wait. But, as soon as the lump starts traveling somewhere or moves up toward him, his “heebie-jeebie” factor becomes too strong. His hand flies off and he’ll mutter something while shaking his head. Sort of like those scientists in the movie Tremors who have this curious, but terrifying experience with their discovery.

I, on the other hand, have become more like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. I’m constantly seeking those hard lumps, trying to figure out where “the gopher” will be next. I’m fascinated, nearly obsessed, trying to figure out what the lump is: a foot, an elbow, a head, a bum? I haven’t got to the point of wanting plastic explosives to get my answer, thank goodness, but the game does intrigue me. It’s easy for me to check up on “Baby B.” “Baby A” is too far under my belly to monitor and she hides much deeper into the insides while “B” likes to lie pretty close to the surface just above my belly button. Keeping my hand on my belly, I’m able to ascertain how she is lying (small lumps are feet or elbows/fists; medium hard lump is her head; large softer lump is her bum) and can feel the rhythmic pattern of her hiccoughs every once in awhile.