Saturday, April 09, 2005

Week 29 - The Progress

Physical Stats: The width of my belly has grown from the pre-pregnancy size of 29 inches to a whopping 44 inches! It has grown 3 inches since my last OB doctors visit 3 weeks ago. The irony: I’ve lost a pound while still gaining the inches. My total weight gain is now 39 pounds. The weight loss although nothing to be concerned about in its own right, my doctor says, shouldn’t happen continually. I get a hall pass to eat more ice cream and try to make up the calories!! Yippee!

My blood pressure is still good and I don’t have any water retention or swelling (yet?), but the doctor’s disappointed that I’m still going to work. I only have 4 more days, though, and she’s OK with that.

The Babies: Still doing well and still both in a transverse position (lying horizontally). “Baby A” is still close enough to the cervix that she could turn head-down – the proper position for a vaginal birth – in the next couple of weeks. Next week’s ultrasound may give us an accurate indication as to which type of birth we should expect. If she’s still transverse, we will schedule a planned C-section. For the first time, the babies have pretty different heart rates: “Baby A” is 145 beats/minute (which has been usual for them both) and “Baby B” is down at 120. Still, there’s nothing to worry about there either.

Education: Paul and I attended the all-day birthing class last weekend and on Wednesday, we took the 3-hour “Preparing for Multiples” class which was taught by the current President of the Marin County Mothers of Multiples group. Both classes were very helpful. A lot of it was reinforcement of what I’ve been reading in the stacks of books near the bed, but was really great I think for Paul to hear. I appreciated the logical, male-oriented way the information was presented. Breaking down obscure medical to tangible visuals or the profound statements into mathematical equations really allowed us to get a better sense of what to expect. Some interesting tid-bits that stood out for us:
Did you know?

  • 50% of twins are born prior to week 37 and weight less than 5 pounds 8 ounces.
  • The average labor and birth is 16 hours long. (Gasp!) The chance the labor will still force a C-section for twins is 50%.
  • Whichever way we start the birthing process, it will happen in the OR just in case surgery is necessary. There will also be about 10 hospital staff in the in the room with Paul and me (2 of everything – OBs, pediatric nurses, neonatologists, pediatricians, etc., and one anesthesiologist). No other guests are allowed (as if they’d fit!).
  • Prepare to change 165 diapers a week for a set of twins and spend 12 hours a day breastfeeding (unless you learn to master the double-feeding techniques). This amounts to 16,060 diapers until they’re potty-trained which should add up to about $4,161 over the years.
  • With 168 hours in a week, studies have shown that 125 of them are necessary to feed and change a set of newborn twins. This leaves 43 hours/week available to take care of yourself, which breaks down to a bit over 6 hours a day or: ½ hour to shower and dress, 1 ½ hours to prepare and eat all your daily meals, and 4 hours to sleep. (An eye-opener!) The teacher suggesting adopting the following mantra, which she used after the birth of her twin boys: “Don’t cross my threshold without a casserole!” or “All guests must assist you.”
  • The divorce rate among parents with multiples is more than twice the national average. Not only do the kids take more work, but so does making time for each other.

The good news is that it does get easier after 3 months!

Next week, we take the “Breastfeeding for Multiples” class. I started reading my “Nursing Mother’s Companion” book this week in preparation. When following instructions to check for *problem nipples* (which thankfully I apparently don’t have), I was surprised and, I hate to admit it but, excited to see that I’m already producing colostrum! (I feel so motherly!)