Sunday, April 24, 2005

The "Godfather" Shower


Posted by Hello

Saturday I got another chance to participate in “the outside world” again. I was thrilled not only to be able to get out of the house, but to be in attendance for the wonderful celebration Paul’s sisters had prepared for our babies’ anticipated arrival. It was a typical “Italian” style party – large (about 45 people attended) and with emphasis on family and food. All guests were encouraged to bring their family. An inflatable jump house kept most of the kids active while “too much” beer, wine and food kept the “adult” guests content and busy. Since I was still on bed-rest, I was required to sit in my glider chair, strategically placed next to the presents and cake, with my feet up. It made me feel like The Godfather. People would come in, cross the room to my “Godfather” chair, drop off their gift, give me a hug or a kiss on the cheek, and chat a little bit before moving on to get a glass of wine and some anti-pasta, grilled veggies, or a plate full of other great foods. The only thing missing was the giant gold ring!

This shower was more than a shower – it was a tsunami - a marathon of present-unwrapping where the kids were more than happy to help with the larger ones too big for my lap. The hostesses had arranged an alternative group gift for those who didn’t quite know what to give. It ended up being a huge success. Fifteen or so guests decided to opt into the group gift and were able, with their combined purchasing power, to get nearly all the large ticket items left on our registry – a car seat, 2 extra bases, both our indoor and our outdoor Pack n’ Plays, the breast pump and 12 bottles - a huge help to Paul and me!!

As with most of “Italian”-styled parties, there was no designated end-time. Paul and I finally packed the car, and ourselves, for home shortly after 8pm – 6 hours after the party started - a very full day. It will take me at least 2 days of my upcoming bed-rest and the rest of my stationery to thank everyone! If you’re interested, pictures from that party are available to view clicking here.