Wednesday, April 13, 2005

And, the Vertict is... Bed-rest


Last day of freedom - at nephew Elio's birthday partyPosted by Hello

We heard from my OB late last night. The fetal fibronectin test I took yesterday came back positive which means that they did find some of the proteins indicative of pre-term labor. The chance that I would deliver within the next 2 weeks is 25%. That still means there's a 75% chance I won't, but since they still want me pregnant at least another 2 weeks, its drugs and strict bed-rest for me.

Strict bed-rest is much different than the modified bed-rest I was anticipating for the later part of my pregnancy. Whereas with modified you can get out of bed and shower when you want to, make something to eat when you want to, visit with people or drive somewhere, with strict bed-rest, you're not allowed to go anywhere but the bathroom. If the doorbell rings, you're not supposed to answer it. You run out of food or need some more water? You're supposed to ask someone to get it for you even though the kitchen's right there. It's hard to plan for everything you think you're going to want to do for the next 10 hours and have it next to you when your husband leaves for work in the morning.

I do have a book called "The Multiples Manual" that has a whole chapter with ideas of things you can do while on strict bed-rest, since it is more common in twin pregnancies. I hope that their list will keep me busy and productive for at least a little while! (Why didn't I take up knitting??)

I will be tested again on Monday, in week 31 to see if there's any change. Until then, we'll be keeping our fingers crossed that I'll be pregnant for at least a little while longer.