Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Week 33 - Some Close Calls

This week brought more activity than usual - a clear sign that my body has been adapting to the terbutiline, making the drug less effective at controlling or softening my contractions. Last week, I only had a handful of contractions per day; now a get a couple dozen.

Last Thursday was our first close call. I awoke in the middle of the night unsure why I was awakened (surprisingly, I didn't have to pee). It didn’t take long before a decently sized contraction came along…and then another, and another. Within 10 minutes, I realized I’d had 4 contractions. A thought left over from my Understanding Preterm Labor class suddenly clicked in: “Hum… maybe I should be timing these.” So, at 2 o’clock in the morning, I turned on the light and started to journal the contractions. I had 12 contractions or so within an hour!! And, they started at 2 minutes apart! Giant red flag (you should call the doctor if you have more than 6/hour and you should go to the hospital if they are regularly 5 minutes apart)! The good news was that sometime in the middle of my tracking, it was time for another pill. About 15-minutes after I took my pill, the contractions visibly started to subside. Soon, I only had one within 20 minutes – totally acceptable and no longer the need to wake up poor Paul and head to the emergency room.

As time continues, the contractions get stronger and last longer; a couple of them actually hurt. I’m beginning to think that these babies are going to come anytime. Sometime on Saturday, I realize that I’ve lost my mucus plug (also called bloody show) – another sign that labor is expected soon. I know I’m seeing the doctor on Monday, so I don’t panic. I’m thinking that 33 weeks is pretty good. So what if the babies come now – it’s not the goal the perintologist had (of 34 weeks), but it’s pretty darned close. I hear all the time of how babies born at this stage are just fine. I go to the doctor’s almost hoping that this week’s the week.

The doctor is not happy with the observations I bring. She’s thinking I’ll need more drugs and is contemplating throwing me into hospitalized bed-rest for a week or so. It’s clear she’s taking this much more seriously than I am and I am shocked at the possible hospital stay! No way do I want to sit in a hospital bed for 2 weeks! No naps in sunspots in the backyard or easy interaction with family and friends. Mint-chip ice cream sandwiches are also hard to come by there.

I’m somehow saved. Her physical exam shows that I’m only 70% effaced and not yet dilating. She thinks I’ll last another week as long as I stay on the drugs and continue the bed-rest at home. If I last a week beyond that (week 35), she’ll take me off the drugs and see what happens – let the babies come if they want to.

Meanwhile, it seems I’ll have to endure a number more of these days. Sleeping in snatches (I can never go more than 2 hours at a time) with my sore sides and hips (from holding my weight during sleep), a bunch of midnight and daytime snacking, struggling to move positions while laying down, and sadly watching the stretch marks grow longer along my belly. I am nearly ready with all the nursery things: the strollers and diaper pails are set up. All the bottles are sterilized and the baby clothes and blankets washed. I’ve pre-ordered the baby announcement card envelopes so they can be addressed and stamped and only need to wait for the details and a picture. Paul is driving around with 2 infant car seats in the back and plans to visit the fire station to ensure they are properly installed (90% of them are not), and Mom is finally taking her cell phone with her – and turning it on! – when she leaves the house. We’re poised and ready, even if we have to wait another 2 weeks.

Oh, the latest stats:
I've gained another 2 pounds, bringing the total gain to 48 pounds.
I've also gained another 2 inches in the belly (as the doctor measures) making it 40. Most full-term moms never get to 36!
"Baby A" is still head down on my left side and "Baby B" has kick-turned so that her head is at "A's" feet and is still transverse.
A C-section birth is still expected.