Thursday, May 19, 2005

Week 35 - Almost Clean & Sober

This week’s meeting with the doctor gives me some comfort from last week’s frustration. The doctor decides that the babies and I are big and healthy enough for delivery. She tells me that, come Saturday, the end of week 35, I can stop taking the terbutaline and wait for the impending labor to start. This is wonderful news to me, especially since it means I no longer need to fantasize over rebellious ways to get it all started! All without even having to admit my conspiracy theories to her – I can rest assured that it was her idea and not my rebellious nature.

So, what should I expect on Saturday when I become “clean & sober?” Well, sometimes labor comes within a couple hours after coming off the drugs; it may also take a week or more. There is no way to really predict, however, from the reaction and the couple of trips to the hospital after some late pills, I’m guessing I’ll learn earlier rather than later. Or maybe that’s just my hope. Regardless, I am glad for the news and become anxious instead thinking about meeting our babies. What color eyes will they have – brown like Daddy's or green like mine? I’m guessing they will have brown hair (since we both have that), but will they also inherit our eyebrows? Will their personalities reflect some of the movements I’ve been feeling throughout this pregnancy with “Baby A” seemingly much more assertive than “Baby B?” And, of course, what in the heck will we finally call them (this is still up in the air and continues to be the main topic and question with dinner guests and visitors)?

Two more days and perhaps we can start answering these questions. Still, a C-section seems to be in order so, when it happens, it will all fall into place quickly. Perhaps my chronicle for Week 36 will be birth announcements!

Oh, the latest stats: Babies' weight is about 6 pounds each. Total weight gain to date for mommy: 51.5 pounds; total girth: 48 inches, just under 20 inches bigger than pre-pregnancy!! (Yeah - it's time!)