Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Return of Uno


Uno home at last, head stuffed into her feeding trough. Ava & Tina posing below the "lost chicken" sign we posted at the local store.
Well, we are all celebrating a huge triumph over all the pitfalls of life here! After 3 1/2 days of being out in the wilds of the neighborhood, amid cats, hawks, raccoons and who-knows-what, Uno has returned!!
I must admit, I wasn't very hopeful after the first 24-hours were over Monday night. My email to the neighbors only resulted in stories with sad endings. And, although I didn't want to believe Uno would follow the same fate, the girls clearly didn't believe. In their childhood innocence, being devoured by another creature in the cruel backyard wasn't even on their radar, nor did I want it to be. So, we did all the things a family "should" do when looking for a lost pet. On Tuesday, we made up a sign, which the girls colored, describing our lost chicken, and posted it at the local market among the other fliers. Both on the way there and on return trip, the girls are searching for her and calling her name. As we near home, we timidly enter the state-owned land between our house and the freeway. Some homeless people have cut the fence and there are well-used trails that zig-zag through the giant retaining walls that are terraced above the freeway. I'm reluctant to wander too far, not knowing what I'd come across in the company of kids. Although, we see no sign of Uno there either, Baby Brother has now picked up a new word after hearing it repeated for the last hour: "Uno."
I also created a craigslist ad and posted her picture to it. All that came back Tuesday was another story about pet chickens that had a sad ending too. Today's email, however, was different. When we got back from school, I'd received an email from the craigslist ad I'd created:
"hello, i don't know if this will be any help at this point, but I was in a truck that was getting onto [the freeway] near [your house] and we saw a small white hen on the side of the highway very close to the on ramp. I was afraid for it, but at work and unable to stop. hope this is somehow helpful. good luck! ~kila"
"Was this today? We live right above there...." I answered.
"today around 11am. the [freeway] on ramp near [basically your street]. my co-workers and i really hope you find it."
Wow! There's hope! So, I grab the phone and dial Paul. I tell him the good news. He says he's on his way home. Knowing it's been nearly 6-hours since this nice person saw her, I tell him I'm going to call Nonna and ask her to watch the girls so I go now to see if by chance she's still there.
Nonna's there in 2-minutes.
I first start out running. I reach the on-ramp and realize it would be pretty dangerous for me to just walk out on the freeway. I look to make sure she's not someplace easy for me to get to, but end up running back up the hill and getting into my car. It's commute time, so the on-ramp is slow to merge with the freeway, which is also clogged with traffic. As I approach the freeway, I can't believe that I actually see her on the side of the road! She's stark white against the green ivy that climbs up the retaining wall. It's surreal, actually, seeing a white chicken on a busy city freeway! I slowly inch my way up the traffic-clogged ramp and closer to where she is. I pull to the side, put on my indicators and confuse a bunch of people as I get out of the car and walk to the side. Slowly I walk up to Uno, making sure to talk softly. She lets me get close and only makes a small complaint when I pick her up. I'm SO thankful that she didn't scurry or dart into traffic! The people watching, stuck in the slow commute, are very confused -- did that lady just pick up a chicken? I can hear it in their bewildered faces. I carefully carry her and don't relax until the car door is closed and she's sitting in the passenger seat looking at me. I notice she's got a very dirty face, but is otherwise very healthy. I am so emotional, I nearly cry!
I make my way back onto the freeway and then off the next exit. Uno seems to be thankful already. She walks from the passenger seat and onto my lap. Next up to my arm. She rides perched on my arm and seems to enjoy watching the short drive home. She remains on my arm as we get out of the car and happily announce our arrival to the team of kids at home. Together we take her outside to the coup. She instantly flies down and starts pecking at the food like there's no tomorrow. I let her eat and then fill it up to the top. The water, too. She must be thirsty with all the hot weather we've been having. I can't believe she's been out there for 3 1/2 days!!
Everything settled, I get back to my computer and thank our craigslist friend:
"OMG! I just went down and FOUND HER! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You and your co-worker are AWESOME! You saved a little chicken's life and three little kids' hearts. Can we buy you a round of coffees and some home-made brownies for your next commute???"
He writes back: "no brownies needed, but wow! she's quite a survivor! my co-workers will be so glad. i'm really amazed and happy to know she's at home with her family again."
Well, we are too. Just take a look at Alessandro...calling "Uno" and blowing kisses....