Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It Makes It ALL Worthwhile

As crazy and manic as my life gets, there is an occasional zinger that cuts me to the core and reminds me how much I have it made:
After cleaning the kitchen last night, I look down at my feet and scoop up a cute little boy with a pacifier in his mouth. "Wanna give me a kiss?" I ask him, looking at him eye-to-eye. He takes his pacifier out and puts his wet little mouth to my lips. I'm a bit surprised as I didn't think he'd know what I was saying. However, I'm so touched by this unexpected gesture of love, I squeeze him and say, "I love you!" With the pacifier back in his mouth, he says, "I wuv jui." My heart leaps. "Give me a hug, bug," I say. He opens his arms around my neck, lays his head on my shoulder and gives a bear squeeze. "My lord, he doesn't miss a thing. He knows exactly what's going on," I think. I hold him closer, squeeze him back and rock back and forth. I am amazed and so very thankful for this little gift and a transcendental moment that is now etched in the memory of my heart.