Tuesday, March 01, 2005

So, a Pregnant Woman Walks into a Hospital...

We get the good news Monday morning before we go off to work: our good friends Lisa & Cameron had their baby girl, Brynn, during the night! Mom and baby are fine and I am very anxious to go and see them.

I find parking across the street from the hospital and walk into the entrance to the information booth. Maternity is on the 3rd floor and the security guard there will tell me which room she's in. I find the elevators and easily find the security guard on the third level.

As I approach, he tells me, "You need to check in downstairs first." He adds some confusing instructions that sound nothing like I expected to hear and I stare back at him blankly. He points to my belly: "You're checking in to have your baby, right?" "No," I respond. "I'm just visiting Lisa Gallaway. I'm not due for another 13 weeks."

I laugh about it with Lisa after I get my "hall pass" and visit with her and her baby. Brynn looks tiny! She's 6 pounds, though and I marvel to think that mine will probably be tinier! Long fingers, but tiny palms, tiny lips and itsy-bitsy features. Perfectly beautiful.

Two-hours go by and I decide it's time to get to work. Walking past the nurses' station toward the elevator, I hear, "Looks like we'll see you back here any day!" A smiling nurse is changing the names on the dry-erase whiteboard. "For one thing," I'm thinking, "I'll be an entirely different city much less a different hospital. And for another,... (sigh!) never mind."

"You betcha!" is all the nurse hears.