Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Girlfriend’s Guide to Pregnancy Props

Now that I'm "officially" in the third trimester, and thus sage and wize, I thought I'd pass on a couple of things I’ve learned along the way that would be incredibly helpful if you or someone you know is just starting down this pregnancy road – there are a couple of items that will become your best friends besides your best friends. I’m sure that every girl will have some that are different, but I’ve listed a few I could not, now, ever live without:

  1. Get a nice big Nalgene water bottle and keep in full and with you all the time. Hydration is one of my short comings, I’m sure, but, if properly hydrated, one will avoid (or at least suffer less from) many pregnancy maladies (see “Sitz Baths” below) and will also lighten Braxton-Hicks contractions. Note: ease up on the water intake sometime around 7pm so you don’t spend all of what should be your sleeping hours making quick stops to the bathroom.
  2. Get a “C”-shaped pregnancy pillow. An ordinary body pillow will not do. If your girlfriend kindly lends you her ordinary straight body pillow, thank her, but invest the $40 and get the “C” shape. This thing will curl around to support your neck & shoulder on the top and your growing belly on the bottom while propping up your hip as it sits between your thighs. This is definitely the most comfortable way I found to sleep. And, if you’re a stomach sleeper like I am, and your shoulders have just “had enough” of side sleeping (they get sore!), try curling your “C” pillow into a doughnut. Stick your belly in the hole and, at least until the 3rd trimester, you can once again sleep comfortably on you stomach.
  3. Get a laptop computer. This suggestion was actually given to me at my first OB doctor’s appointment from the doctor herself! Just after the ultrasound and congratulating me on the twins in week 8, she said, “If you don’t have a laptop computer now, get one.” She also suggested wireless internet connection, although we have just been using a really long cable. Our computer thankfully was already a laptop. I was glad because, just based on the pregnancy alone, I doubt that we would have bought one. However, I love the fact that we do have one as it has made all the difference to me allowing me to also be productive (and creative) rather than just watching Oprah on TV.
  4. Get a bed-tray. Paul and I got a breakfast-in-bed tray from some friends as a wedding present. I have used this as a computer table as well as a breakfast/dinner table while in bed and it’s been very helpful. The one suggestion I’d make: get a tall one. Ours has perhaps 8 inch legs… this is too short. As your belly grows, you’ll need a taller table. I’ve “made do” by propping the legs up onto the “C” pillow which gets me 4-5 more inches, but doesn’t make the table as steady.
  5. Prescriptions: Ask your doctor for prescription pre-natals with stool softeners. Trust me! Take them and your Nalgene bottle with you wherever you go or you might forget. Hopefully, the combination will prevent you from having to use the next suggestion.
  6. Inflatable Sitz-Bath: You might be within the 50% of pregnant women that don’t have to deal with this subject. I found out quickly (week 16) that I wasn’t. My first bat with this purposefully un-named issue resulted in necessary out-patient surgery (not fun! In fact, my doctor told me if I can live through that, labor will be a cinch!). Hardly anyone gets it that bad, but the issue returned in a more normal way around week 24. Not wanting it to progress, I became diligent in following all doctor suggestions including Sitz-Baths 3-4 times a day. Filling up and sitting in the bathtub that often became cumbersome and time-consuming. My sister-in-law, who’s involved in physical therapy, told me about these little inflatable toilet-topper Sitz-Baths. After 15-minutes with eBay, I found out just how easy it can be! (Sometimes it’s worth talking about the unmentionables!) Also note: your doctor can also get you prescription-strength topical cream that will help tremendously in this area as well.
  7. Get a belly-band. Although this suggestion came from the maternity store, it is not a gimmick – especially if you’re expecting to get very big (like if you’re having twins). A belly band is just a lycra band (which can be purchased in many colors – I got basic black), sort of like a tube top, that fits around your lower belly. It is especially necessary in transitional times (maternity clothes just a little big but regular clothes too small) or with below-the-belly pants. It is very helpful also when your belly is so round that your blouses no longer cover the bottom few inches between your belly-button your pants. It’s a drafty situation, unless, of course, you remember to wear your belly-band. I use mine way more than I expected to.
  8. Get the fridge ready. In the middle of the night, you will wake up famished and unable to fall back asleep without a snack. My suggestion: stock the fridge with easy to eat foods. The best snacks are the ones you can eat/make without having to fully wake up. Also, ones that combine carbs with a protein will work the best and last the longest. My favorites: celery sticks or apple slices with peanut butter, yogert ("Gogerts" are ideal as you can still lay sleepily in bed without spilling), cottage cheese on toast, or bagels with cheese.