Thursday, June 15, 2006

Funny, But Real to Life, Twins Article

I came across this article from the New York Metro, passed from another MOM, and thought it was GREAT!

It was written by two new-ish parents to twins who live in New York. The whole article was waaaayy too long to post the entire thing, but here are a couple excerts to which I personally could relate:

"Living in New York, he [the dad] imagined they’d be the people arriving at rock shows with their kid in a sling. “But there was no way,” he says. “You know, I’d imagined what it would be like to be the president of the United States and to be an astronaut, but somehow it never came on my list to be a father of twins.”

“Oh, it was so beyond anything I’d imagined,” says Alice. “On the one hand, it’s unbelievable joy and it’s everything you wanted and you wanted so badly to have these kids. But I was just remembering those moments where it’s Saturday morning and you’ve each slept about half an hour a couple of times during the night and you’re each holding an upset baby and you say, ‘Can I give you both babies so I can brush my teeth?’ And your husband’s like, ‘No, I’ve been waiting for two hours to make the coffee,’ and you’re like, ‘Well, can I just take my puked-on shirt off?!’ And he’s like, ‘No! I have to pee!’ And you know that there’s, like, fifteen hours ahead of you before bedtime where nobody’s going to get sleep again.”

[Another excert from parents of triplets] "Fortunately, triplets tend to be well behaved. They have no choice. They understand early on that because the babies outnumber the parents, screaming in the crib won’t necessarily bring a response. So their sleeping schedule tends to stabilize quickly. A similar discipline takes hold for eating—if they don’t take whatever food is offered, their siblings surely will and they’ll go hungry. “We don’t have to mess around with ‘Open up for the flying airplane,’ ” says Jean-Marie. “It’s a total assembly line.”

If you're the parent of mulitples or are just trying to gain some insight into the mysterious life it dictates, I suggest you take the 15-minutes and read the whole article. There were a couple of truths that I wouldn't dare admit to parents of non-multiples.