Monday, February 20, 2006

9 Months - They've Got Cribs!

It's an innate, genetically instilled process triggered by motherhood. You can try to delay it, postpone or even pretend that it doesn't exist, however, like PMS, when it hits, it cannot be ignored. It rears it's motherly head and we all, unwillingly or not, conform...

Most people get to set up their nurseries a month - usually 2 - before their baby/ies are born. However, with all the construction in our house as well as the "creative" use of space, we didn't do this; we didn't have enough room to even set up proper cribs. Our girls first shared a single Pack 'n Play (temporary travel beds/play spaces) and then grew to sleep in their own. They haven't had, however, proper beds: ones with full size mattress, or even a mattress at that! Everything was hodge-podge, mismatched and temporary. This weekend, however, our world - and theirs - grew bigger.

Posted by Picasa
Here is Ava clearly enjoying her full-size crib; one with a full-size mattress, real bumpers, fitted sheets, crib toys, and a beautiful handmade heirloom-quality quilt made by her Great-Aunt MaryAnn...and it all matches! Tina gets another one just like it. I was beaming with pride and a nesting instinct that most moms go through before their babies are born. It was a long time coming, but I, too, conformed. I sat in my little rocking chair and marveled at the "baby things" in all their glory: matching sheet sets! beautiful sleigh cribs! cute crib toys! I'm taking it all in understanding what every mom does when she thinks no one is looking. Isn't this just a wonderful thing?

It's taken a long time - I mean a long time (they're 9 months old, for goodness sakes!), and they are still in the living room and not a "proper" nursery, but I still take pleasure in the sight. My shoulders soften, my breath comes in longer stretches, and my eyes look appreciatively at my husband for giving me a really good nest. Do the girls sleep any better? Well, no; not yet, anyhow. However, I will, and that's a start.