Monday, January 10, 2005

The Sonogram - Week 17


A profile look at "Twin A" at 17 weeks. Posted by Hello

Today we met with the genetic councilors who told us everything that "could" go wrong with our babies. All sorts of rare and common genetic and chromosomal abnormalities that may or may not affect our babies. At one point, it was so overwhelming, the blood drained from my face and my hearing became distorted, like I was underwater. Comically, when the aware councilor told me to put my head between my knees to regain myself, I had to tell her that I couldn't reach my knees!

But, after a glass of water, and decisions not to have the amnio, we were walked down the hall for the amazing photo session with our babies. Both of them, thankfully, appeared fine. Each had 4 healthy-sized chambers to their heart, 5 fingers, 5 toes, a nice spine, and all the blood supply that they needed. Baby "A" (pictured), who sat lower in my abdomen, was a little bit smaller (10.1 cm compared to 11.8 cm) than the other, but both their heart beats were strong at 145/bpm. Baby "B" turned and looked at the camera during her cameo. One would think that it would be a cute picture to publish, but honestly, she looks more like a Led Zepplin skull than a baby!

That leads to the other important news: Paul and I learned that we were to expect not just one, but two baby girls in June. Now comes the hard part... agreeing on names.