Monday, January 31, 2005

Rose Petal Caresses - Week 20

Some people describe it as butterflies, some as "the squirmies," a bubble bursting or gas movement. It is something that I've been consciously anticipating for 4 weeks now, even though some women don't feel it for 2 more weeks. There are so many ways that these first movements, the "quickening," are described, that it's hard to envision what to expect. A roller coaster ride? An adrenaline rush? For me, however, a totally different analogy came to mind.

Last night, after finally struggling to find a semi-comfortable sleeping position, I settled down, lain on my side, with Paul cuddling close behind. In my ready-for-sleep daze, I felt what I first thought was Paul affectionately stroking my belly with something soft. After focusing on the sensation, I realized it wasn't Paul. "Could it be a baby?" I thought. I moved the body pillow away from my belly and waited to see if the feeling was still there. Soft little petals continued to stroke the inside of my upper abdomen and I whispered to Paul, "I think I can feel her... it's Baby "B" (which refers to the one on top)." "Really? What does it feel like?" "Rose petals... rose petal caresses." I take his finger to show him where I'm feeling it.

Newly awake and still unsure if the feelings were imagined or real, I am now very focused on any sensation. I wait in silence for about 5 minutes and then all the sudden, a tadpole, much lower down, changes direction and leaves a wake of fluttered movement and I'm sure now that we got our first "good night" wishes from both Baby A and Baby B.

They hold their silence no longer. Throughout the day today at work I could feel them like little muscle twitches, although it was more difficult to figure out which one was creating them. Perhaps they were together, making a game of it.

No wonder there are so many different ways used to describe the first movements - they are all so different from each other. There can be rose petals first, followed by swimming and stirring, little muscle twitches, and gas bubbles all next to each other. It is a very reassuring feeling, although I know that in the months to come I will wish they would quiet down. Right now, it's fun and energizing and I am amazed with the variety of sensations I feel. Each movement makes me smile with awe and wonder.