Monday, August 10, 2009

Uno, Dos, Tres

Meet the newest members of the household....



And, I mean household.... they need to stay indoors under a heat lamp for 2 more months. We picked them up at the feed store where we get Misty's treats. The girls spend time looking at chicks and ducklings while I get all the things I need for the horse. This time, however, we boxed up a couple and took them home.

The guy helping us out to the car asks the girls, "What are you going to name them?" Ava answers, "How about something in Spanish." The man tells her, "My name is in Spanish...why don't you name them Jose?" I remind him that we want them to be hens, not roosters. Ava, still contemplating the Spanish, quotes from Baby Brother's English/Spanish counting table: "How about Uno, Dos, Tres?" Somehow, it sticks. Paul pushes it when he gets home so Tina thinks of other English names for them as well: Pancake, SpongeBob and Popcorn. Who is which, I don't know. I think I prefer their Spanish names.

Although the girls have always admired chickens, I think it was really Paul who placed the idea of getting one in their head. When he was a little boy, his family has some chickens and Paul was infatuated. He used to tell me stories about how he'd get up out of bed in the middle of the night and go sleep next to the chicks or bring one back to bed with him. He laughs about how they pooped in his bed. I think Paul secretly wants to relive those fond childhood memories and share them with his own kids.

Me? I think it'd be cool to raise chickens. Even cooler if they eat all the bugs and spiders that have taken over the backyard in the 4-years since we used it for something other than a construction staging area. I think it will be a great experience for the kids. Fresh eggs are also a benefit. Welcome, Uno, Dos, and Tres! I'm sure there will be many entertaining stories about you to come!