Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pile of Tissues by the Bed

We've been sick. Bettina got it first, about a week ago. Her fever started Wednesday night, perhaps early Thursday morning. It finally broke on Friday. I'm glad, however, that she got it first. Bettina is a needy, whiney barnicle when she's not herself and demands to be carried everywhere. So, since Tuesday last week, I've been using my Chinese sling like a regular pack horse.

Saturday, Paul and I got away to have an anniversary dinner at The Ritz in Half Moon Bay. Nonna, who watched the kids for us, had a hard time getting the girls down. That night, Ava's fever came and I was up all night with not just one, but two whiney kids. Paul and I soon realized that it was divide and conquer night: Ava sleeps with me in our bed and Daddy with Bettina in their room, since 4 in a bed is ridiculous and Tina wouldn't sleep with so much "freedom" anyhow. By Sunday, I knew exactly that the moaning came from body aches rather than the sore throat I suspected - I had it, too. And, since then, we've had to keep the same sleep arrangments, gratis a Ava.

Ava, too congested to breathe, wakes up every 45-minutes to an hour crying, "Mommy, I's sick!" or "Mommy, I's need to blow my nose." She and I shared a box of Kleenex and I bottle of water to combat the cotton-mouth.

This morning, as Daddy came into the room to get ready for work, Ava defensively stretched out on her newly claimed turf: "Ava's bed! Go away! Daddy cuddle Tina!" Poor Daddy! However, my sympathy is short-lived as I know that Bettina, who's on the upswing, is now able to sleep through the night and Daddy got a full-night's sleep. As I swing my feet down to the floor, I find a pile of Kleenexes scattered all about evidencing our long, miserable night. Then I think, "He probably wouldn't want to spend the night with us anyway!"