Thursday, July 06, 2006

Walk A Mile In Their Shoes and Help Their Child To Walk


Taylor Frederiksen Posted by Picasa

Old friends sometimes have the funniest way of reappearing. It's always wonderful to reconnect with people who used to be a regular part of your life and see what they've accomplished or how they've grown since the "time before."

While in my mid- to late-20's, I used to spend a lot of time with a group of friends who included Poul Frederiksen (who also used to go by the nickname "T. P." or "Tall Poul"). I had since heard that he'd moved to Sacramento, was getting married and having a baby. I'd also heard that he was moving to Colorado, but didn't really know why or hear much more details than that.

Again through the grapevine, I heard that he was doing a fundraiser of some sorts and got the email chain-letter with the web-link to the site. I was amazed to find out the fundraiser was for his beautiful daughter, Taylor, the one I heard he was expecting, who is three years old now and has a form of Cerebral Palsy (CP). The CP has made it difficult for her to learn to walk and Poul and his wife, Andi, have been working hard and proactively to ensure her eventual success.

Taylor's Peak Climb is the fundraising event Poul and Andi have planned to help Taylor through her proactive, yet expensive, treatment (much of the treatment they have found effective is not covered by health insurance). They have invited people to come, participate, and hike along with them in an effort to participate in their challenges, see life through their eyes and support their hope for their child's mobility. Along with their supporters, they plan to tackle two of the local 14,000' high mountains, Gray's and Torrey's peaks, the following weekend beginning July 14th. Of course, I was personally touched by their story and their willingness to include and inspire people to challenge themselves with them during their climb. With my girls, I could not venture out on such an ambitious hike with them, but of course, sent what money I could. As I told Poul, it's not much, but I hope with other contributions, it will work to create dreams and miracles. If you're equally inspired, perhaps you will also contribute, which you can do here.

Before I met Poul, I used to live in Colorado and challenged some of their famous "14-ers" myself. I know how difficult and unpredictable, but beautiful and rewarding those climbs can be. I've also learned that the mountains of parenthood require much more stamina than Colorado's 14-ers, especially when your child has extra hurdles to negotiate and learn. Kudos to you, Poul and Andi, for tackling them both! We hope that Taylor lives her dreams and is able to hike with you on her own one day. God bless everyone this next weekend who will join you, willing to walk a couple miles with you and live as close as they can to "your shoes."
To read more about Taylor and/or CP, visit the Frederiksen's family website.