Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Welcome, Baby Brother!

Little Baby Brother, now called Alessandro Andrea, was welcomed yesterday! We are all very excited by this beautiful bundle of joy (and I am so very thankful for no longer being pregnant)!

I was so surprised at just how easily everything went - when we finally got it all started! Paul and I weren't sure that the OB observation was going to admit us when we arrived at 4am with the "right number" of contractions again. Just like the last time, there were the "right number," but they weren't doing too much in allowing labor to progress. However, with my OB back from vacation and scheduled to come in in a few hours, they let me see her in the hospital rather than the office. She came in around 10:30am when she broke my water. By noon-ish, I'd requested my epidural and I was ready to push at about 2:45pm. Little Alex came soon after - at 3:25pm, and Paul and I had "won our prize." There was only one complication during heavy labor when his heartbeat did drop enough to concern the doctors. He recovered fine and all appeared seamless to me, but I found out later that they did contact the anaesthesiologist to set up an emergency c-section. Turns out, there was some placenta abruption and that is probably what upset little Alex. Lucky for us, he recovered and we were able to finish the VBAC.

Both he and I were tired after his birth and, after Daddy went home to be with the girls, we took a nap. When he woke, he latched on both sides like a pro. This left me thinking smugly that having one was really super easy. He's got a great disposition, a face like Ava's and dimples like Bettina and his cousin Braxton. Just as Aunt Ainsley guessed, he's got a lot of hair, which looks like it will be a bit curly. We are truly blessed by this little spirit and look forward to introducing him to his sisters, who will come to help bring him home tomorrow.