Monday, June 09, 2008

38 Weeks and Desparately Uncomfortable

I'm supposed to still have 2-more weeks to go. I suspected that I would be at least 2-weeks early, as it's been my family history: both my sister and I were quite early (me by nearly 3-months and Ainsley by 3-weeks; even Ainsley birthed 2-weeks early). Already, I'm carrying this baby 2-weeks longer than the girls - 2-weeks and a day, to be exact. This is good, I know, but I keep having dreams and fantasies about how labor's going to start and give me the eventual relief from this heavy load I'm carrying. At over 46-inches around at the widest part (which is nothing compared to the 54 I was with the girls), I've got sciatic pain in my lower left back, between my shoulder blades when I sleep for more than 2-hours, and "Baby" is sitting directly on nerves that, when rubbed, causes me to involuntarily bend and collapse my leg. Itchy skin on my tummy is a bother, as well as other unmentionables from the load-bearing weight that should resolve itself after the birth. I went out shopping for new nursing bras and am amazed at the size of the monstrosity they give me: 34G (that's 5 cups sizes larger than my usual monstrosities)! They only have 2 in stock, so I get them both.

I get winded brushing my teeth or blow-drying my hair. I drag a stool over to the counter when I cook and I haven't been able to reach the toys lost under the couch for months. I slash at them with a long-handled broom which either rescues them or send them further back into the abyss. Twice a month, the cleaning lady and her son made a small pile of the books, puzzle pieces, tiny doll shoes, etc. that can finally be reunited with their like parts.

Looking at the positive, it's supposed to be beautiful weather all week long. The girls have been almost as desperate to go swimming as I have been to feel the freedom of buoyancy. They put on their swimsuits nearly everyday despite the fact it's only 65-degrees outside. Today, however, it should reach 91-inland; 80 by the Bay. I've pestered everyone I know who belongs to a pool for a playdate. If no one responds, I'm thinking I'll just hop the fence ;-)

There are signs of birthing soon, however. Last week, my OB "helped" by manually stretching me (ouch!) another 1/2 cm so that I'm a little over 2 cm dilated and almost all effaced. That night, my contractions were frequent enough to call in and they sent me down to the hospital. It was a regular fire drill: Paul's mom was called at 10:15pm to watch the girls while we bumbled to pack things into Paul's truck and wind our way to the hospital. True to "everyone's" story, I nagged Paul about him taking the longest route to the hospital invented as well as driving the stiffest car (I'm never riding in the truck again until after this kid's born!). Ended up that the contractions weren't doing too much to change anything. They gave us the option to check in or go home - we went home and things quieted down even more.

We got a call from my uncle this morning who tells us he and my cousin (the one that was deployed to The Gulf and currently on leave and visiting home) and family were going to come down for a visit. Elated, it's the only reason I'm glad I haven't given birth. I figure after their visit, I can celebrate by having a pizza dinner at Skipolini's. They have a pizza, called the Prego Pizza, that's guaranteed to send you into labor within 24-hours. Does it sound like I'm ready??? I'm ready!