Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tim Russert - What a Country!

A long time ago - perhaps 12 years? - I started watching Meet the Press most every Sunday morning. At least more Sundays than I'd go to church, at the time. I was never very political before, but Tim Russert, the host, broke it all down in a way that made it very easy to follow and get excited about current events and issues effecting politics.

A year or so after I started watching, I found myself rooming with a really nice gal, about my age, who did the same volunteer position I did for our sorority but for another school - she in Washington DC and me at UC Berkeley. We were flown out to Ohio to get our annual training. After sharing a couple of days with her, and noticing she'd check her email at every opportunity, I asked what she did for a living. "I'm in television," she answered simply. After more questions, I pull from her that she not only works on Meet the Press, she's the Executive Producer. She's just making sure that everything's cued up for tomorrow's guest and that Tim has everything he needs. WOW, I think. Such a nice and humble girl with a huge responsibility dealing with someone I really admire. On top of all of that, she does a great job running the local chapter of our sorority, and I know how much time that takes!

Well, Betsy and I continue to be friends, long after our stint as room mates in Ohio. We email often about how to solve certain problems, never forget to send Christmas cards, celebrate the births of our children and call each other when in town to get together for a drink (well, she traveled more often than I did). The one time I was able to travel to DC, it was for a sorority convention. Betsy and I made time for a drink (even though I was pregnant) and she even introduced me to Tim, who was there as a guest speaker. Tim even gave me a copy of his book, Big Russ and Me. I was surprized just how much I enjoyed reading it.

When I heard about Tim's death last Friday, it shocked me two-fold. He had the ability that I so admire in people that makes you know that he's listening to you; he's one that lives in the "here and now," attentive to details and curious about people. Even though my visit with him was relatively short, I had his attention the whole time. He was curious about me, my opinions and was a pleasure to be in his company. For the loss of someone like that, it is a great tragedy. However, my devestation was doubled knowing that, if Tim was at work at the time of his death, surely Betsy had a front-row seat. It must have been a very, very difficult day for her and my heart bleeds for her. I immediately emailed her my thoughts, knowing she probably won't go through her email for weeks.

I watched Tim's memorials on TV. Each time, Betsy played an important role. She sat next to Tom Brokaw as part of the panel that first Sunday. She was one of the many speakers at his service and I watched as she sat composed and poised, full of wonderful memories and insights into Tim and his life. I marvel at and thank God for people as poised, humble and just plain good people. I hope we learn to be as patriot, supportive, interested, invested and loyal as Tim Russert. Friends like Betsy inspire me to be just so.