Friday, March 20, 2009

Scissors

Last Wednesday was Parent/Teacher Conferences at pre-school. I got a chance to sit down with the girls' teacher and discuss the social, cognitive and physical skills the girls have achieved during their time at school. I was never worried and in fact, looked forward to hearing glowing reports on what geniuses they are (they are, aren't they?). The paper given to me listed all sorts of skills that the teachers observe in each child. A check mark means they are still learning that skill; a plus indicates they have mastered that skill.
Ava's paper had all pluses, and Bettina's pretty much did, too. The one area I expected, communication, she had some checks because, when she's upset, Tina tends to shut down and not use her words to communicate. And, sometimes, it takes a couple requests before she will follow instructions. I know all about that. There was one other check, next to "knows how to handle and cut with scissors" that I didn't know about. You see, there are certain things that I just don't do at this age in my house: Play-dough (too messy), markers and pens (potential messy) and scissors (potential disaster) are just a few of them. However, after seeing a check mark, I had an attack of guilt. Perhaps it's not Tina's fault she has a check there, but mine. OK, I'll let you use scissors at home.
We go home and I review the "rules" about scissors before I go upstairs to attend to laundry and general cleaning: only use the scissors to cut paper...this yellow paper that I'm giving you. If you run out, tell me - I'll get you more. Stay at the crafts table here in the kitchen.
The girls were happily busy for a good chunk of time. I listened to their excited chatter from my room. Suddenly I hear, "OK, now it's my turn to cut hair." WHOA! INTERVENTION!!
"Girls??? You're remembering to cut only paper, right?"
"No, Mom, we're cutting hair," Ava answers.
"Stop right there and freeze! Mommy's coming down."
I can't tell just how bad it is or who has it worse, but strands of hair cover the floor. Baby brother, who I plopped on the floor to figure out what to do next, quickly gets it all over his fleece pants. Ack! I pick him up again. The mess stuns me like a deer in the headlights.
After running a bath, getting everyone in it and cleaning the floor, I decide it's not as bad as it could have been. Since they are training scissors, they only open very slightly, so Tina really just got a bunch of layers and not a blunt cut. Ava hardly got cut at all.
Friends on Facebook ask for photos, but really, it's not dramatic enough to be funny via a photo.
As Paul and I talk in bed that night in review of the day, he laughs, "Perhaps it's a good thing that Bettina hasn't mastered the skill of scissors yet! Think of what could have happened to Ava's hair if she had?"
Good point!