Saturday, February 09, 2008

Every Mermaid Gets Her Hair Washed

It's getting harder for me and my growing tummy to do many things and I'm having to give up some things. One of which is giving the girls their bath. I'm just not able to reach into the tub as my tummy bounces off my knees or the rim of the tub. So, this little chore, which is something I have done 99% of the time for the last 2.5 years, is something Paul has begun to own.

As everyone knows, if you've done a chore 99%+ of the time, you tend to have a strong opinion about how it should be done - you have created the order and reason of all the componets, tried and trained by effeciency or past mistakes/learning experiences. So, it's a little difficult to watch someone else, not nearly as experienced, step in a do things entirely differently.

However, if we hold our tongues, we may end up learning a few new pointers. Case in point: Ordinarily, I use logic when wetting and washing the girls' hair. I shield their face as they tip their head back and count to ten so they know when it's done. Daddy didn't do this and was having a tough time convincing the girls to get wet. So, when the girls refused to get their hair wet,Daddy used reverse psychology explaining that every mermaid gets their hair wet and washes their hair to boot. This hit a big chord as "The Little Mermaid" is one of their stable videos to watch at night. "Do you want to be a mermaid, too?"

It, of course, worked like a charm and the girls got their hair washed while ramping up for their current favorite show - a tailgate party of sorts (no pun intended!!).