Sunday, April 29, 2007

23 Months

I was just reviewing the last couple of months and found this entry about the girls' vocabulary 5 months ago. Wow! A lot has changed since then! Back then, they could say 25 words. I made a list the other day and stopped when I got to 200!! I also stopped counting animal noises as words as well (the list is obviously too long to list here, but I've kept an electronic copy as a keep-sake). They have also added to their sign language vocabulary as well; they've outgrown what I know. I contemplated going to Barnes and Noble to buy a sign language picture dictionary so all of us could learn more. Ava in particular is more interested in it than Bettina. Waffling on the "why now that they can talk" argument, I've found there still is some use for it as sometimes a number of words, especially if I'm not right next to them, sound similar in their not-yet-precise diction. Often, when I can't make out what they're saying, they will also sign the word and I understand immediately. It helps a lot.