Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Early Birds - Twins Book Club Review (finally!)

It's been months since I've said that I would read and then comment on "The Early Birds" by Jenny Minton, a book that her PR rep sent me to create some viral publicity. I started the book in July and got really into it as Jenny describes the pregnancy part of her story. However, once her babies were born, she spends so much time in the tiniest details, she lost me...and lost me hard. I remember exactly when it happened...she was describing what her mother did or did not order for lunch and how the waiter was handling it..."Ack!! Who cares! What does this have to do with a 'story of motherhood??'" I thought. I got angry at silly side-details like this and put down the book. I read 2 others before the guilt of not finishing it and of see it stare down unappreciatedly at me finally got me to take it down and dust it off to finish it again.

I have a feeling that the reason I didn't bond with the book after her boys were born is just simply that I was blessed with an uncomplicated birth; my kids didn't have to spend anytime in the NICU and I never really became familiar with the workings of the hospital as she did. I didn't feel guilty about my birthing experience and completely unlike Jenny, I was allowed to sprint out the the hospital doors days after the girls were born. Within 2-weeks of my girls' birth, I was challenging myself to go outside and navigate the world as a new mother. Jenny never got that chance and was stuck mitigating other details much more acute than the great outdoors.

Thinking this difference may have been the factor causing an interest "slow-down," I asked a friend, who I was visiting for a few days and who is the mother of very preemie twin boys who also spent months in the NICU, to take a quick read and let me know what she thought. BINGO! She said the book had her in tears and she loved it.

So, I suppose that this book would be a great gift for someone who perhaps has had to spend time with preemies in the NICU; who has perhaps some feeling of guilt for somehow contributing to them being there to begin with; who's going through a tough time with sick babies but wants to have hope for the future, even though the future seems so far away.

One thing is certain, Jenny has done a lot of research on IVF (her method of conception and common for families with twins). It was interesting to note all the science and lack-thereof behind the IVF methods. If you are thinking of IVF, there is a lot of interesting information that may play a part in your decision. From her perspective, IVF may be at fault for many of the problems with preterm labor, preemies and lifelong illnesses. Those to me were great tidbits of information.

Worth reading? If you're not engrossed in IVF and NICU details, perhaps not. However, if either of these arenas have crossed into your life, perhaps so. I don't think it's for all mothers of twins, but for the ones that it is, it may feel like you're reading your very own diary of thoughts and feelings. And, it does give hope for the future - Jenny's kids (along with a third one she has later) are all fine, healthy and happy kids.