Sunday, March 26, 2006

10 Months 1 Week - Fun at the Library

Things you should take advantage of but sometimes forget...
Perhaps it's because it's negatively associated with high school and college when you were cramming for tests or writing research papers, but somehow, I think I forgot about the public library!

Well, we've re-discovered the library and it's taken on a whole new breath of life. Our place in the City is about 6 blocks from the local branch of the SF library. At the suggestion of a friend whose boy is about 9 months older than our girls, we went to visit the "Lap Sit Story and Song Time" at the library. My lord, there must have been 20 moms and their kids there all on a giant carpet in an annex room especially for this event. The librarian, a gregarious, energetic, petite Asian lady, knows all the kids and moms by name and greets them with a puppet whom she has deemed the Potrero Library mascot. 30 minutes goes by quickly with about 4 stories and 8 songs that have the kids (mostly birth to age 5) clapping, singing, and waving their arms, smiling to (or at least completely captivated by) the whole experience. I can see why this is so popular!

After the storytime, the girls and I travel to the main library and check out a weeks worth of books. I also find they have a bi-ligual section with many books in Spanish. I check out some of those too, as I think it would be great to read to the kids in Spanish (and practice my skills!). This leads me to an idea about looking for something in Italian. Since I can't read it, I find some kids videos that can do the talking for me. While perusing the videos, I notice they have a video on Infant and Kids CPR and Choking. This is also something I put in our pile - what a great thing to watch and share with other caregivers!

Here's a great bonus: The kids' books, when checked out on their cards, don't have any late fines! So, Ava and Bettina get their first library cards at 10 months old. We check out a Baby Einstein video as well (we don't have "Old MacDonald") and we're finally ready to head home.

Another great tool I never knew about: the SF Library has everything online. You can log on and do a search for specific title or topic. Let's say that you found the book you want, but it's at a different branch. Or, perhaps it's checked out and is also at a different branch. No problem... Just put a hold on it and ask that it be delivered to whatever branch you wish. I have 2 videos and a book already waiting for me.

A funny thing happened while watching the Italian video the other night.... Since I've known Paul I can't get him to utter a word of Italian. He's fluent in both Italian and Genovese (local dialect). Even while visiting Italy 2 years ago, I needed to literally push him to get him to ask someone a question. He will do anything to avoid having to speak it himself, usually answering in English instead. However, while washing the dishes, I could hear Paul speaking Italian to the kids during their video time. Not just repeating what the Italian video encourages or is trying to teach, but having conversations with the kids explaining much more to them. Now, those of you who like to hassle Paul and tease him about the things you all learn from this site (that would be you, Carlos!), please don't ruin my moment here and tell him that I can hear him! I love listening to him find this unique way to bond with the girls.

Other exciting news that happened this week: Bettina's cutting her first tooth! Also, both girls are waving "bye!" They surprized me when their Great-Grandma and Great-Aunt, visiting from Oregon, waved bye and they both waved back! They do this all the time, now.