Monday, November 21, 2005

6 Months - Time to Give Thanks

The girls reached their 6th month anniversary 3 days before Thanksgiving. In this spirit, here is a list of all the things I'm thankful for in light of all our changes:

I am thankful for daily facials, which are enjoyed while hovering over the bottle steam sterilizer. Not as glamorous as the spa, but functional on two levels: we clean pores and bottles at the same time! I am thankful for every bath or shower I get during my busy week - both of them. I am blessed with each new spit-up baptism and all the stains on my clothes. I am thankful for machine-washable fabrics. I am thankful to have lost the baby weight (yes, I'm back to pre-pregnancy weight), however, it hasn't changed my habit of wearing my maternity PJs 'cause their just so darned comfortable!

I am thankful for 20 little fingers and 20 little toes. Those two sets of bright eyes and mouths that smile and giggle, bringing sunshine into my soul; God bless them. I am thankful for the countless hours spent on my glider reading stories, singing, and feeding babies.

I can't quite say I'm thankful for the lack of sleep and the numerous night-wakings, but the girls' anticipation and faith that I will solve all their problems by simply walking into the room, makes my heart melt and proud to serve them. I am thankful that God made us so we really could live on minimal sleep for months at a time. I am more thankful, though, that those times are mostly in the past; the girls are now regularly sleeping until morning. I am still thankful, though, that when they do wake up, simply holding them for a minute or two calms them enough to brave the rest of the night on their own.

I am thankful for Baby Bjorns, Podee bottles and activity mats; washing machines and digital cameras. I am thankful for support systems like mommys' groups, twins clubs and best friends. Who could forget Grandmas and Nonnas - their last minute babysitting, cooking and cleaning are true God-sends. Their love and nuturing - to both kids and moms - proves there are angels on earth. Grandpas and Nonnos - bless your marvelment and wonder, the countless hours you hold these babies and sheepishly try to make them more comfortable. Daddies of course are particularly special, eagerly asking about any new developments that he's missed that day while at work "bringing home the bacon." Smiling at the pictures and mocking the babies as they bundle up for bed.

May your blessings and reasons for thanks be equally strong and inspiring. Happy Thankgiving!