Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Week 7 -

Just before my bi-monthly Twins Moms group meeting, I weigh the girls on the baby scale. Ava weighs 7 lbs 10 ozs and Bettina is 8 lbs 5 oz. They are getting so big so fast!

This meeting is always a great resource for learning new ideas and bouncing off ideas or hearing additional solutions to everyday obstacles. There are many expecting moms at the meeting this week. It is almost my turn to introduce myself and my girls as well as my questions of the week and I hear Tina's pants making funny noises as she innocently sucks at her bottle. I figure I might as well attend to the diapering before the attention's on us and I ask one of the expecting moms, who's hands are free, to hold Ava's bottle while I work. As I lay Tina out and start to undress her bottom, an avalanche of mustard yellow goo gushes from all sides and has already shot up her back soaking her outfit. Trying hard not to gasp or otherwise call attention to the mess, I proceed to use all my wipes just so her body and hair stay clean while I remove her formerly cute outfit and put on the spare. A neighbor asks, "Does she need another wipe?" I answer, "I think she needs a bath!"

I do end up finishing the mopping up before everyone else's attention is turned toward our section of the circle and through my questioning learn about another brand of bottle, called Dr. Brown, that some say is even better than Avent for gas and colic prevention. I think I will have to try this one out to see if it helps poor little Ava. I later get a compliment from the expecting mom who held Ava's bottle about how calmly we handled Tina's explosion and mop up. It's all part of being in the trenches!

Ava and I also had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon this week as the ultrasound that the doctor recommended showed a little bit of wiggly-ness (new invented word). However, he thought there was no need for concern. Just to make sure, he asked that both girls come back when they're 6 months old for an xray to check their bones. He also sent me up to the xray department since part of the initial concern stemmed from my personal history.

The milestone of the week: I have been guessing that Tina was ready to give up a feeding. Each night, it's Ava who wakes up first and Tina doesn't seem want to wake. So, I experimented. I only fed Ava and hoped that Tina would continue sleeping and not wake me up 45 minutes later. My hunch was right. Tina now sleeps through a feeding; we have dropped one of their 2 night feedings. Perhaps the light to a full night's rest is growing nearer?