Monday, August 22, 2005

3 month Reflections - The "Have To Have's"

At a recent Mother of Twins New and Expecting Moms gathering, an expectant mom asked what we really found useful in the baby items and what wasn't really necessary to put on the registry. Looking back, here's the list I thought of of items that really came in handy for the 0-3 month age:

  • Lots of 4 oz. size bottles - we're talking 2 dozen. Keep in mind we've got twins.
  • Bottle steam sterilizer and bottle brush - it's like a mini-dishwasher, but only takes 3 minutes for the cycle rather than 40 minutes. I end up doing like 4-5 cycles a day - I use this way more than I expected to. This is a "have-to-have" item.
  • Double Snap and Go - In fact, I wished for awhile I also had a single until I realized you could still use the double while folded in half as a single. Genius!
  • Breast pump - far more efficient to feed via bottle and you can delegate visitors to help you out.
  • Brest pump converter - converts the "Brand A" breast pump do-dads with the "Brand B" bottles - one less thing you have to wash...
  • Swing - my kids actually nap in this! Also, the first thing Ava does when she's put inside is to stare up at the little ducks that, when you push another button, rotate around like a mobile. (They love to watch ducks!)
  • Jiggle/Bouncy chair - this will give you at least 15 minutes of quiet time.
  • Extra bassinet - great for napping time when one kid might wake up the other. Also handy when you want to have a bed nearby to prevent waking them. The longer you have to walk to put their sleeping bodies down, the more likely they're wake up.
  • Baby Bjorn - I don't know why I didn't put this on the top of this list! It definitely needs to be there. I have 3 of these things around the house and I've used all of them even though I have only 2 babies. One's in the wash or forgotten in Paul's car or something. You need to have extras of these around.
  • Monitor - first of all, encourages you to sleep in your own room (you'll sleep better - I promise!). Second of all, you're able to respond to their whimpers before they turn to cries which wake them up too much.
  • Digital Camera - you'll use this nearly every day!!
  • Tons of stretchy swaddling blankets and/or swaddlers - they sleep much more soundly in these.
  • Large throws for "tummy time" and outdoor picnics
  • For mom - slip on shoes!! (no time for laces or buckles), and need to have read all sleep-habit books before the babies are born. Re-read when needed.

What you Don't Need:

  • Stuffed Animals!!
  • Too many toys. My girls just started responding to toys within the last couple of weeks. You wonder why you have all these things dangling from your car seats and play mats until they're nearly 3 months old.

Hopefully, this will help you shop for new expecting moms or for yourself, if you're in that category....