Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Week 3 - How to Lose 30 Pounds in 3 Weeks

Although the twins have been having bi-weekly appointments with their doctor, it's taken me a bit longer to circle back with mine. Two weeks after being discharged from the hospital, I had my first follow-up appointment with my OB after the C-section. Basically they wamt to touch base to check to make sure that the incision is healing properly and to remove the bandage that protects the incision from shower water and normal wear-and-tear. While there, however, they go through the other normal routine of checking the blood pressure and body weight. I was a bit disappointed when I weighed in - no longer pregnant - and heard "one-hundred fifty-seven pounds." That's a lot, I thought. "What was I last time I was here?" Of course, then I was still very pregnant and about five days from giving birth. The nurse looked through the chart and said last time I weighed in at one-hundred eighty-nine. Wow! I couldn't believe it! That number seems so big now! It's amazing how quickly the mind forgets how big I was and the discomfort that came with it.

The upside is that I've lost over thirty pounds in under 3 weeks! I'm not sure the popularity of this radical diet, though. Seems that eating grapefruits for 3 weeks straight or counting carbs would be a lot easier than being pregnant for 8 months, although the alcohol regime would probably be the same.

So, just when I think I'm doing pretty good - focusing on the 30 pounds lost rather than the 20 pounds I'd still like to lose - a harsh reality check hits: As a treat, I hired a babysitter so I could take my hard-working, supportive mother out for lunch and for a bit of Nordstrom shopping (still have some good deals at their Half-Yearly sale). Lunch is perfect and served on the warm and sunny patio. Shopping is nice (although I realize it's going to be awhile before I feel inspired to buy something new). The nice Nordstrom sales assistant who's been helping my mom and I remarks as I come out of the dressing room, "I didn't realize until now that you were pregnant!" "I was, but I actually gave birth 4 weeks ago," I answer. I was dumbfounded when she answered, "Well, it does take some time to take it off again, doesn't it." Stupid lady! I didn't want to hear that! Bad sales associate! No commission for you!

It's a good thing I'm not already sensitive about my weight - nor really ever been. However, the comment, as well as the mirrors in the changing room and my general desire to "do more" with my day has inspired me to be a little more active. More walking and exercising. It does feel good, though, and is also good for the babies to get some more fresh air.