Friday, March 26, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt

The hidden stash
On Tuesday, I started to wonder if something funny was going on. Yesterday, the chickens only left me one egg and today there are none. I usually get at least two if not three. I wonder if my mother-in-law, who lives next door and had obviously been doing some weeding in our yard today, didn't just lift up the hutch and take a few and didn't say anything. Although we'd certainly be just fine with that, I quickly dismiss this thought as it would be SO unlike her. Hummm....
Wednesday there are no eggs again! Huh? And yesterday, only one. I wonder if they've made some secret nest....I rummage through the backyard, looking at their usual dust-bath spots, but can't find a thing. If you saw our backyard, you could see that finding a secret nest is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. That's why Nonna has been weeding in our yard; it's a jungle with most plants 2-3 feet tall with a canopy of some weeds over 4 feet tall. I sort of like it that way as I think it give the chickens extra protection and they LOVE to eat and chew on the variety of weeds around.
Then I wonder if maybe they're sick or stressed and have stopped laying...
Well, today I went out and, again, found no eggs in their boxes. Determined to find them, I look under tarps, wheelbarrows, around rock piles and then, FINALLY, I see something blue in the corner of my eye... There in the weeds is a hole in a thicket that leads to, you guessed it - a hidden nest, piled high with 15 eggs!!
So, I grab one of the kids' sandbox pails and collect the clutch. As I'm gathering, I wonder with a smile if I haven't thwarted some collaborative with the Easter Bunny. I mean, they're already painted green and blue! I envision the chickens syphoning off their work for a designated night drop-off with a local bunny worker. If so, Easter Bunny, I apologize in advance! I will be sure to do all the work at this house to help lighten your load.