Monday, April 28, 2008

The Girls' First Day of Ballet Class

Grandma's present to the girls for their 3rd birthday was new pink tights, new pink ballet slippers and 6-weeks of ballet classes! The girls were ecstatic!! They couldn't wait until their first lesson asking every day when their ballet class would be. Finally, the day came when one morning I could tell them that their ballet class was today. I thought this would quell their insistent questions. However, it just continued to frustrate them because they had to wait until after breakfast, then after getting dressed, after driving to Grandma's and then until after lunch. Even Dad was excited - he called about a half-hour before class to see if the girls had already had their class.

When we arrived at class and got to take out their ballet slippers, they had never been so proud! Along with another 7 kids or so, they lined up outside the classroom in their new shoes waiting for the doors to open and reveal a room full of mirrors and their new teacher. I soon realized that most of these kids were already familiar to the teacher - she knew them by name. There were only 3 or 4 kids completely new to ballet. I also quickly realized that moms are expected to wait outside and can't watch their little girls skip, sachet or twirl around -- I started to panic wondering if the girls would be OK with that. I didn't warn them about it. Miss Jenny said that parents could watch the first 5-minutes, but then she hoped we would quietly leave and wait outside for the remaining half-hour.

I must say, it was disappointing for me listening to the pretty music and hearing Miss Jenny call out my kids' names and then give compliments without being able to see it for myself. The upside: the kids do a dance recital on their last day. I guess the girls' progress will remain a surprise to everyone: Dad, Grandma and me up until then.

Here are two videos: one during class and the second is Ava teaching Mommy how to do first position.
Posted by Picasa