Thursday, November 10, 2005

5 Months 4 Weeks - A Routine Day


Posted by Picasa
This comic reminds me of the sleep training we just went through. As part of the training, we went cold turkey with the binkies. I think our girls are finally on the downslope of their pacifier addition! (Yea!)

I find that I'm constantly trying to reinforce an established, consistent routine. However, despite my efforts, what I still find is that the only thing consistent thus far, is the inconsistency. "This is the week when I will see their real routine," is the thought that creeps into my head every week. Usually, I'll see glimmers and slivers which are quickly dashed by a loud, diabolic complaint that totally kills the rest of the day!

Truth is, although I know we're making progress, it's still like 2 steps forward, 1 step back. There are constant set-backs and bad days - at least with one of the twins. One has it and the other is the challenge. However, today was one of the rare times we had an exceptional day. Everything went right.

For one thing, both girls went down like angels at 6:30 pm last night. No complaints; no crying. Next, not more than a whimper from either of them until 5:15 am this morning. An uneventful feeding and diaper change followed by a good nap until 7:15 am. This is when Dad gets up and gets ready for work. The girls decide they want to start their day as well. We get dressed and have play time until 9:30 am when I decide it's time to fill them up again with milk; perfect timing - Ava just starts to get cranky at 10:00 am at the end of her feeding. They sleep from 10 to 11:30 and wake up 10 minutes apart (perfect amount of time to change and play with one and get ready for the other). We're in the car by 12 noon to run an errand at Baby Gap and by 1:00 pm we are at the Lafayette Reservoir to meet up with friends Lexi and Merrin for some walking exercise. Ava starts to get a bit fussy right on time (just before 2pm) so, as a short-term fix, I steal Tina's Podee bottle to see if Ava's ready to "learn" to use it. Remarkably, she does!! (Wonderful news! This will make outings even easier in the future). We're home at 2:30 pm and I fill them up again. 3:00 is reading and song time with all 3 of us on the glider and both kids are in bed napping at 3:30, again without complaint. I am amazed! They sleep again for another 1.5 hours and Dad comes in just as they wake up at 5pm. Let's get dinner! On go the Bjorns, in go the babies, and down the street we stroll. We're home by 6pm and I immediately draw their bath. They kick and splash until 6:15 pm and they're in their PJs finishing their final meal with heavy eyes by 6:45 pm. No complaints as they fall asleep and Mommy walks out of the room to a quiet house.... and plenty of time to reflect, celebrate, thank God, write her blog and pray that their "routine" tomorrow looks more like this.